An exemption from real estate taxes shall be allowed for the first $20,000 of assessed value.
All new applicants must file between July 1st and December 1st of each year. Applicant's eligibility
will be approved upon meeting the following requirements:
(Homestead Property Tax Exemption, WV Code Chapter 11, Article 6B, Code Reference)
- The applicant must be 65 years of age or older by July 1st of the relevant tax year. You must bring either a valid West Virginia Driver's license or Voter's Registration Card with you in order to sign up for Homestead Exemption.
- To qualify for the Homestead Exemption, the applicant MUST be born ON OR BEFORE July 1st, 1957.
- To qualify for the Homestead Exemption based on disability, applicant must have a doctor's letter stating that the applicant is 100% permanently and totally disabled, or a letter awarding the applicant their disability status.
- Applicant can only apply for the Homestead Exemption for their PRIMARY residence.
- Applicant must have been a resident of West Virginia for two (2) consecutive years preceding July 1st of the relevant tax year. Applicant must also sign an oath stating that they do not receive a similar exemption in another state or county.